So this is a tag I’ve been meaning to do for a while, but to be honest I’m still not completely sure I have enough unpopular opinions for a whole post. This is mostly because when I read most popular books when I was younger and completely uncritical of all books I read. Nevertheless, I’m going to try so let’s get into it!
1. A popular book series you didn’t like.
The Selection by Kiera Cass. I don’t know how popular this actually is, but I found it lacking in both characterization and plot wise. Not for me.
2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
I can’t really think of any? I used to like the Shiver trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater but I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t enjoy it at all if I were to read it now.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with or a couple that you don’t like.
The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. I didn’t like either of the two love interests, so you know, not happy with the outcome.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Sci-fi and dystopian. They’re usually closely related so it makes sense I guess. I’m just so tired of seeing the same tropes being used over and over. I also read Ender’s Game years and years ago, and that made me never want to pick up a sci-fi ever again. Whops.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Rhysand. Please, don’t kill me. It’s not like I hate him or anything like that, I just don’t get the hype at all. And since he’s half the reason people like the series (right?), I also don’t get the hype about the books either. Also, what’s with the purring? Weirds me out.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
Colleen Hoover. I can’t say I’ve tried to by actually reading multiple of her books, but I’ve read Maybe Someday, talked to Fiona about It Ends With Us and heard stuff about November 9, and I can say for sure that she’s not for me.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing.
LOVE TRIANGLES. PLEASE SAVE ME FROM THE LOVE TRIANGLES. I hate them a lot.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I read the first one and found it pretty dull, so I’m not really interested in reading the rest of the series.
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer to the book?
Hidden Figures. The book and the movie are two very different things, but the movie is a lot more enjoyable, although the books is great from an informative point of view.